Information Courtesy : http://chennai.metblogs.com/
The history of the Madras Lighthouse dates back to 1795. In 1796, the roof of the Officers Mess in what is now known as Fort St George, was selected as the site for the first warning beacon. It was nothing more than a large lantern. To be more specific, the first Light House of Chennai functioned (1796 – 1841) at the Building in the Fort St George where the Fort Museum is located.
Second Light House
The second light house was erected between the 1838 and 1844 on the north side of Fort St George.This lighthouse operated until 1894. Though its lantern room was removed long ago to fit in the third light house also located in the Madras High Court Complex, the Tower stands tall even today.
Third Light House :
The third light House was functioning from the tallest dome of the Madras High Court. It started functioning on June 1, 1894, with argand lamps and reflectors manufactured by Chance Bros, Birmingham which had originally been installed in the 160-ft-tall lighthouse tower.
The present light House which you see below is located opposite the office of the Director General of Police and was opened in January 1977. It is one of the few lighthouses in the world and the only one in India with an elevator.
Other Light house in Chennai
@ Mhabalipuram Built by Pallava king . Near by is the current light house
Light House @ Pulicat